What Massachusetts Residents Need to Know About Obamacare
Welcome to the fastest way to find out about Obamacare in Massachusetts.
Here, you'll find clear and accurate information about Obamacare, including:
- whether or not you must get health insurance
- what the available plans cover
- how much coverage will cost, and
- how to sign up for a plan.
To begin, keep in mind these key points about Obamacare in Massachusetts:
1. You must have health insurance, unless you qualify for an exemption.
Beginning March 31, 2014, to avoid paying a tax penalty, you must be enrolled in a health insurance plan or qualify for an exemption from the law. You will report whether you have coverage -- or whether you are exempt -- when you file your taxes in 2015.
For most Massachusetts residents, complying with the new health insurance requirements won’t be difficult. Massachusetts passed a commonwealth health care reform law in 2006 that served as the model for Obamacare, and more than 97% of Massachusetts residents already have health insurance.